Can someone please translate? I understand about a shirt and Scouts, but that’s about it!
Q:Is there a good place where you can see scouting events happening this year and the upcoming years all over the world ?
1. WOSM published in 2012 a List of International Events for 2013-2019. I use it a fair bit, but being made what it was, it doesn’t list upcoming stuff in each nation that’s going on - only longterm-planned national and international events. Click here to view the PDF. This document is a good starting point.
2. NSOs are invited to attend events, and to send contingents. Sometimes, they will promote these on their websites: for example Australia and Canada, These lists are helpful, because while they may not end up sending a Contingent, if you know of an event then you can apply to go as an individual. onegirl-eightcountries, thisthriftybusiness, and a few others are good examples of this. They didn’t go to some events as part of a Contingent, but as individuals.
EDIT: The Scouts Canada link hasn’t been updated since 2013 - sorry :(
3. I subscribe to a range of emails, which let me know of whats going on. Yes, I have to use Google Translate, but I find it worth it.
4. Rovernet is a resource for Rovers in Europe that has a section on upcoming events that Rovers can participate/run/be involved with. Click here to see the current list. I’m glad to say that this is updated frequently.
RULE OF THUMB:
- Northern hemisphere major events are in their summer - Jun-July-August. You should start planning before February if you want to attend any of these events, and longer for the bigger ones.
- Southern hemisphere major events are in their summer - Dec-Jan-Feb. You should start planning before August if you want to attend any of these events, and longer for the bigger ones.
You want to attend some Scout events in 2014, and it’s September? Pretty much most major Scouting events for 2014 have been done, on a global scale. National events and smaller ones are a different kettle of fish. I recommend that you contact your International Commissioner, and say that you’re interested in participating in events overseas - they can help you by telling you things that I wouldn’t know. It kinda helps if you know what you want: do you want to be a participant? A service helper? A facilitator? All things to consider!
Hope that helps pinkfloydfanmatt!